peasprout spouts

sharing is caring. food is love.

Tuesday, May 2

Busy, busy, busy...

But not too busy to try cooking and baking everything in my old, but new to me, cast-iron skillet. Besides doing its usual duty as a frying pan, I've tried it out successfully for cornbread, pan pizza, and even cinnamon rolls. I love it. To bits and pieces. Aside from that newest addition to my culinary arsenal, I've also maximized the use of these lovely silicone baking cups from Crate and Barrel. In downsizing every recipe I come across, these technologically advanced plastic cups have been the mainstay of my baking. Another item which has become a constant presence in my life these days is coffee. It's everywhere I turn...for free! It shows up in the OR's kitchen, in the Surgery office, and at every nursing floor is a pot that's brewing. So of course, it's got to be incorporated into some baked good. In trolling for recipes, I searched all my favorite sites for mocha or espresso and settled on one from epicurious.com. Every espresso recipe employs the use of espresso powder or instant coffee powder, but I'm trying to work with a cup of good black coffee here, so I tweaked this one to fit my needs. The coffee was a couple of days old by the time I got around to it, but it still worked great. With the crusty, crunchy top I like. I think I might add some sugar on the top the next time, but these turned out to be my kind of breakfast.

Mocha Muffins
(makes 6-8 muffins)

1/2 cup strong coffee
1 TBSP instant milk powder
3/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 lg egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)

Mix together above ingredients, then add remaining ingredients.

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (lightly packed)
1 heaping TBSP cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Feel free to try adding chocolate chips and nuts. I didn't have any on hand.

375 for 20-25 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home